About Bill Grant
Bill was born in Dalton, Georgia and has lived in Canton for over 17 years. Bill operates his internationally recognized branding and marketing firm, Grant Design Collaborative, in the former Galt building in Downtown Canton. His residence is located in the historic East Main Street district. Both his home and office building has received the Historic Preservation Award by the Cherokee County Historical Society.
Bill grew up in a lower middle class family, and he has always worked hard to be successful. He graduated high school with honors and paid his way through Berry College with academic and work scholarships. After college, Grant began his career in marketing and advertising. He opened his own business in 1989, and relocated Grant Design Collaborative to Canton in 1996. His firm collaborates with Fortune 500 companies; such as Adobe Systems, Georgia-Pacific, Muzak and Herman Miller, and with local entrepreneurs; such as Goin’ Coastal, Audio Intersection, Benson Media and Jyl Craven. In addition, Grant Design Collaborative has donated substantial pro-bono services to local organizations, such as the Cherokee Family Violence Center, Cherokee Historical Society, Canton Main Street, Cherokee Arts Center, and the City of Canton.
Committed and Experienced Leadership:
• Bill organized and led the effort to “Keep East Main Street Residential” and served as President for the Historic Canton Homeowners Association.
• Bill identified the Main Street Program as a viable tool for revitalizing Historic Downtown Canton. As President of the Main Street board since its inception, he has worked with the Mayor, Council and board members to position the program as a viable tool for economic growth.
• Bill has served on the Variance Board of Appeals since 2009 where he has worked diligently to uphold the City’s zoning and planning ordinances for responsible growth.
• Bill serves on the Canton Development Authority.
• Bill served as President of the Cherokee Arts Center from 2010-2011 and on the center’s board from 2009 - 2012. He contributed a complete rebranding program for the Arts Center and worked with the board to reposition the center for future growth.
• Bill served on the Canton Charter Citizens Committee.
• Bill serves on the Vision for Canton 2050 Commission.
Successful Business Professional:
• Bill is President and Creative Director for a highly acclaimed marketing firm, Grant Design Collaborative in Historic Downtown Canton.
• Bill was the first National President of AIGA, the Professional Association for Design, elected outside of New York and San Francisco. The association has over 28,000 members and 60 chapters.
• Bill was named an AIGA Fellow in 2005.
• Bill helped author and produce the AIGA "Business and Ethical Expectations for Professional Designers."
• Bill assisted in curriculum development for the AIGA Harvard Business School program "Business Perspectives for Design Leaders."
• Bill was recently named one of Graphic Design USA's "50 Most Influential Designers Working Today."
• Bill graduated with highest honors from Berry College in 1984 where he earned a BA in English and Psychology.
• Bill completed the Harvard Business School Executive Education Program, “Business Perspectives for Creative Leaders”.